Re: a radical proposal (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Feb 17 00:15:02 2006

On 16-Feb-2006, at 13:32, Edward B. DREGER wrote:

JA> I get the feeling that there's a lot of solutions-designing going on in this
JA> thread without the benefit of prior problem-stating.

Problem:

Consumers want to multihome.
That sentence needs profound expansion before it's going to be reasonable to assess any proposed solution.

(Why do they want to multi-home? What do they hope to achieve? Redundancy? Load sharing? What trade-offs are reasonable, e.g. with respect to the stability of individual sessions across re-homing events? In a transaction carried between two hosts, do clients and servers have different requirements?)

We tried to catch a reasonable number of motivations in RFC 3582, but I bet we missed plenty.

Joe