Re: a radical proposal (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

  • From: Edward B. DREGER
  • Date: Wed Feb 15 16:46:17 2006

AO> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:18:04 +0100
AO> From: Andre Oppermann

AO> So what?  The newer 7200s have got NPE-G1's or soon NPE-G2's in them.
AO> Comes with 1G RAM default.  It's not that your 7 year old NPE-150 can
AO> still participate in todays DFZ, is it?  We're not going to explode

It'll be interesting to see if those NPE-G1s can handle all the
DSL/cable multihomers and all the flapping.

AO> the table to 2 million routes by this evening.  It still takes its

No, but if word got out that people could multihome effectively between
cable and DSL, it'd happen pretty darn quickly.

AO> time.  You always had to upgrade to keep up with [speed, pps, routes,
AO> features] and it's not going to change.  Get over it.  I'm not saying
AO> only a Cisco CRS-1 or Juniper M640 can handle it.

No, but people will resist something that their reasonably-new NPE-G1s
and M40s can't handle.  Get over it.

AO> 1) How does this deal with local loop failures and other routing trouble?
AO>    Think very hard.  You see?

If you have followed the thread, you will note that this has been
addressed.

AO> Well, the policy and some aspects of the implementation have to change
AO> anyway.

AO> Why not do it in a way that at least scales before we hit the other
AO> brickwall?

I have proposed something that can be done _today_ with existing
equipment (except for minor CPE changes).

"Buy all new hardware each time someone wants or needs a feature" is not
eaxactly scalable, either.  Of course, what would I know?  I've never
been tasked with installing 2000 new line cards because someone failed
to exploit a possibility for increased efficiency c/o simple policy
decisions.

You're simply shifting costs to hardware.  If the bottom line is cheaper
than providers cooperating, great.  I'm not convinced that it is.  Your
kneejerk "buy more hardware" response is foolish and short-sighted:  At
the end of the day, _someone_ has to pay for everything.  Why not seek
the best cost/benefit?

Prefix count is a concern.  Let's say that IP space had been allocated
in such a manner that each ASN has only one prefix.  (This could have
been achieved through better allocation practices.  I digress.)  That
would be a global table roughly 10% what it is now.

If you're going to cite Moore's law, keep this in mind:  A factor of 10
is more than three Moore cycles, or roughly five years.  That's not
something just to blow off.

You suggest exact-match lookup because it is efficient.  I agree.  I'm
suggesting administrative policies that are efficient.  The two are not
mutually exclusive.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/