Re: protocols that don't meet the need...

  • From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist
  • Date: Wed Feb 15 06:08:59 2006
On 15 feb 2006, at 11.51, Daniel Roesen wrote:

	That is one of the reasons we did the NANOG 35 IPv6
	multihoming BOF (and are doing the same at the upcoming
	apricot meeting).
Which is a good thing. But still, many IETF folks deny the fact that
they constantly hear that things like shim6 is NOT what the ops folks
(the folks that have to actually work with the stuff IETF brings
forward) are looking for.
I think YOUR problem is that the chairs in an IETF WG gathers consensus of the members.

Additionally I would like to point out that on shim6 specifically I also meets representatives of fairly large providers that see new opportunities with shim6 or id/loc split solutions. To Dave's point that there are people "in IETF" that don't think there is an operator community I would like to add that there certainly is an operator community but their views are not homogenous. And neither is any other groups. Which makes the job of any IETF WG chair to judge consensus among the representatives in a particular WG to do just that, gather consensus and move forward.

And we know that it doesn't. It can't.
There is no way to do traffic engineering with any shim6-like system
like one can do with BGP as shim6 is a completely host-centric solution.
It has no clue about upstream/downstream/peering, ASses etc. Those
things that actually make topology and economics. That's aside all the
other administrative nightmares associated.
I would like to argue that TE in the general case is orthogonal to upstream/downstream/peering. I am not clear if you are trying to voice concern that you can not do TE, or that shim6 will not give you the ability to control how your customers does TE, or something else.

- kurtis -