Re: Fed Bill Would Restrict Web Server Logs

  • From: Frank Louwers
  • Date: Tue Feb 14 10:40:07 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:33:19AM -0500, David G. Andersen wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:47:50AM -0500, Jon R. Kibler scribed:
> > >
> > > http://www.politechbot.com/docs/markey.data.deletion.bill.020806.pdf
> > >
> > > to delete information about visitors, including e-mail addresses, if the
> > > data is no longer required for a "legitimate" business purpose.
> > >

> > Original posting from Declan McCullagh's PoliTech mailing list. Thought
> > NANOGers would be interested since, if this bill passes, it would impact
> > almost all of us. Just imagine the impact on security of not being able
> > to login IP address and referring page of all web server connections!
>
> Call me weird, but I fail to see where the scary teeth lie in such
> a bill.  First of all, it's phrased very abstractly and would hopefully
> have its language clarified by the time it escapes a committee.  Second,
> the bill is fairly clear about the meaning of personal information, and
> it doesn't include things like IP addresses in its examples; the latter
> would be a matter for a court to decide, and it's not clear cut at all:

Strange thing is that we have exact the opposite here in Europe. There
is a new bill that has been passed that forces us to keep al logs (mail
and web) for at least 1 or 2 years.

Vriendelijke groeten,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba                www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium