Re: NANOG36-NOTES 2006.02.13 talk 3 NTT labs AAAA query explosionworries

  • From: Andrew - Supernews
  • Date: Mon Feb 13 16:43:11 2006

 Matthew> Outline
 Matthew> Expect increase in number of DNS queries this year
 Matthew> Discussion
 Matthew>  effect on cache server load and user response time
 Matthew>  how can we decrease number of unnecessary queries?

[mega-snippage]

Speaking from the point of view of someone serving authoritative DNS
data, rather than running a cache server for users, there is one thing
above all required to reduce the number of unnecessary queries:

** All traces of BIND 8.3.3 and 8.3.4, and all code that shares their
AAAA/A6 nameserver lookup bug, must be purged from the net completely. **

In the two and a half years or so since I first noticed this issue, the
extent of any improvement has been slight. This isn't really surprising;
how many people even know that those versions are broken? How many people
would care, even if they knew, about the fact that they are generating
unnecessary queries to other people's DNS servers?

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com