Re: Middle Eastern Exchange Points

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Tue Feb 07 17:14:38 2006

At 04:11 PM 2/7/2006, Joe Abley wrote:

On 7-Feb-2006, at 11:54, Martin Hannigan wrote:

I know of a Cairo IXP, and possibly one in the UAE.  Is there one
in Kuwait as yet?
Yes, KIX. Note, there's CIX and CRIX. If you are trying to
reach African users, there's also KIX ala Kenya.
The exchange point in Nairobi is called KIXP, not KIX, in case it
helps avoid that confusion. The KIXP is The Place to reach Kenyan
users, but no ISPs from parts of Africa outside Kenya participate in
it, as far as I know. <http://www.kixp.net/>.

Terrestrial paths between adjacent African countries are still
somewhat rare. I don't have science to back this up, but I would not
be surprised if the toplogical centre of today's African Internet
turned out to be the LINX.

Yes, and double checking, I believe CIX/CRIX are one in the same with
a distinction being telco colo vs. IP colo. It's not specifically clear.
CRIX is run by the Egyptian MCIT. There are other options in Egypt depending
upon what you are doing. The incumbent IP provider is Xceed.

-M<

Martin Hannigan (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation (w) 617-395-8574
Member of Technical Staff Network Operations
[email protected]