Re: Problems connectivity GE on Foundry BigIron to Cisco 2950T

  • From: Alain Hebert
  • Date: Mon Feb 06 14:26:27 2006

( You can said that it means nothing but... (; )

I second that. I always crimp (or check) for it.

Also watch for Cat 6 cabling ... 23 gauge is hell to crimp. 24 is livable but takes twice as much time to do than Cat 5e.
(You have to cut that little plastic guide and the pairs are a bit more twisted)

I just did a 72 pairs (BIXed + crimped) in Cat 6... And I'm still wondering if its that advantagious.

Also:
Anybody fix a cabling issue by using Cat 6 over Cat 5e?

Let us know.

( There is nothing nicer than a POP on a diet... a fiber diet that is! )

Jeff Rosowski wrote:

According to "Ethernet, The Definitive Guide", that feature is an
optional part of the spec.

One thing I've heard people encounter is that if they use a cross-over
cable, which probably really implies a 100BASE-TX cross-over, then the
ports only go to 100Mbps. A Gig-E rated straight through, in conjunction
with the automatic crossover feature, was necessary to get to GigE.

A lot of cross over cables only cross pairs 1-2 with 3-6, leaving 4-5, and 7-8 as straight through. Gig-E uses all four pair.

--
Alain Hebert [email protected] PubNIX Inc. P.O. Box 175 Beaconsfield, Quebec H9W 5T7
tel 514-990-5911 http://www.pubnix.net fax 514-990-9443