Re: Anyone heard of INOC-DBA?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Fri Feb 03 16:02:15 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:34:16PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > Until someone invents a universally recognized system where you can call
> > and say "Hi I'm CCIE #12345, I'm certified to know what I'm talking about
> > and I have an actual network issue, please transfer me to someone with
> > clue", we're going to continue to see the problem of letting the legit
> > calls through while seperating out the calls from J. Random Crackmonkey
>
> How about INOC-DBA, which is supposed to have a clue threshold you
> obtained an ASN by some means in order to have a dial-by-asn phone.

With all due respect to the INOC-DBA project, which is actually somewhat
interesting (from a "I want to play with free IP phones too" perspective
if nothing else), it isn't a workable solution to operational contacts
yet.

Among other reasons, it seems that the vast majority of the users are just
people playing around with it at their desk in the office, never expecting
it to ring for anything serious. It might be more interesting if people
actually set up 1234*NOC extensions, but puck.nether.net seems like a far
more effective choice. The INOC-DBA system so far doesn't seem to
integrate particularly will with existing NOC phones or systems that are
not IP based, and you really have to go out of your way to get it to
forward to multiple people like say an engineer on duty.

And then of course there is that whole "using the IP network to contact
someone about an IP network issue" thing that doesn't seem terribly well
thought out... Admittedly I haven't looked at the INOC-DBA stuff in a
while, there could have been some massive advancement that I'm not aware
of, but I suspect that the situation is still "more work needed". Existing
phone systems, call centers, and engineers with cellphones, seems to be a
much safer bet right now.