Re: 74/8 75/8 76/8

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Wed Feb 01 22:26:33 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Martin Hannigan wrote:

74.63.0.0/20
75.127.0.0/20
76.191.0.0/20

...should be withdrawn now.
Why?

Allocation out of 74/8 happened on 12/20/2005 and 76/8 1/19/2006.
So?

Operationally, the testing should stop prior to allocations
from the block, regardless of size. I think it's a binary
question, they're either in production or not, and if they are,
there should be no intrusive testing.
Why should the testing stop (and what sort of testing did Cymru do?)?
From my experience with 69/8 space (69box.atlantic.net), I can tell you,
networks with outdated bogon filters will always exist. If Cymru is providing or can provide a tool for people to use to test/verify that certain networks have such filters affecting the above blocks, then it's still a useful service.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |