Re: Destructive computer viruses from history

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Sat Jan 28 14:59:59 2006

Sean Donelan wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:

"Even so, 300,000 infected users worldwide is not a terribly large
amount when compared to previous worms like Sober or Mydoom. However,
with this worm it isn't the quantity of infected users, it is the
destructive payload which is most concerning."
Vmyths used to be a great source for debunking a lot of the virus
hype. Everything old seems to be new again.  In 1999, the Chernobyl
virus was the end of the world.  It erased disks and BIOS of computers.

I would quote Dr. Alan Solomon here, but I have to ask for his permission. You have the right of it.

Back then though, they had no way of knowing how many got infected, further -- this was down-played by AV vendors until they had no other choice, for it shows once again how the AV is not an all-powerful solution for everything anymore.

Gadi.