Re: So -- what did happen to Panix?

  • From: sandy
  • Date: Fri Jan 27 17:24:56 2006

Michael.Dillon wrote:

>Writing RFCs is a fine way to document operational
>best practices, but it is not a good way to work out
>joint operational practices.

>Seems to me that operational problem solving works
>better when the problem is not thrown into the laps
>of the protocol designers.

If the solution turns out to be joint operational practice, then
operators need to be involved, natch.  If the solution turns out to be
protocols, then the protocol designers need to be involved along with
the operators.

I'm not so certain that operational practices will fix this problem -
it could be argued that the fundamental vulnerabilites in the way
routing info is communicated would be better fixed in the protocol.

--Sandy