Re: So -- what did happen to Panix?

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Fri Jan 27 12:45:15 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:39:27AM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 27-Jan-2006, at 11:12, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >	but by definition, the right-most entry is the prefix origin...
>
> Suppose AS 9327 decides to originate 198.32.6.0/24, but prepends 4555
> to the AS_PATH as it does so. Suppose 9327's uses a transit provider
> which builds prefix filters from the IRR, and the "as9327" aut-num
> object is modified to include policy which suggests 9327 provides
> transit for 4555. Suppose this is not actually the case, though, and
> in fact 9327 is a rogue AS which is trying to capture 4555's traffic.
>
> The rest of the world sees a prefix with an AS_PATH attribute which
> ends with "9327 4555".
>
> In this case, from the point of view of those trying to discern
> legitimacy of advertisements, what is the origin of the prefix? Is it
> 4555, or 9327?

	from BGP's perspective, you tell me.  being the naive BGP
	listen/speaker - i think that AS 4555 is the origin.

	now... what does  Prefix 198.32.6.0/24 say is the correct
	origin?

> Is it possible to tell, from just the right-most entry in the AS_PATH
> attribute?

	nope - but you have jumped right into the path question.
	(what does the as4555 aut-num object say about using 9327
	as an upstream AS?)

> Joe
>
> [note: 9327 is not a rogue AS, in fact. This is just hypothetical :-)]

	sez you :) (reminder to send Cingular the royalty check if you
	receive the above two characters ":" and ")" as listed above
	AND you chose to infer mood or intent.)

	I think -all- AS are run by rouges and pirates.

-- (headless) bill