Re: So -- what did happen to Panix?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Jan 27 10:43:24 2006

On 27-Jan-2006, at 07:51, [email protected] wrote:

	perhaps you mean certified validation of prefix origin
	and path.
In the absense of path valdiation, a method of determining the real origin of a prefix is also required, if the goal is to prevent intentional hijacking as well as unintentional origination. Simply looking at the right-most entry in the AS_PATH doesn't cut it, since anybody can "set as-path prepend P".

This suggests to me that either we can't separate origin validation from path validation (which sucks the former into the more difficult problems associated with the latter), or we need a better measure of "origin" (e.g. a PKI and an attribute which carries a signature).

Joe