Re: So -- what did happen to Panix?

  • From: Matt Buford
  • Date: Thu Jan 26 13:15:47 2006

"Daniel Golding" <[email protected]> wrote:
ConEd Communications was recently acquired by RCN. I'm not sure if the
transaction has formally closed. I suspect there are serious transition
issues occurring. "Financial Stability", "Employee Churn", and "Ownership"
are, unfortunately, tough things to factor into BGP algorithms.
I have no idea if this is really related, but the issue was the same weekend that ConEd had major network maintenance going on. My ConEd service was down (NYC area) for the entire weekend (about 60 hours) during their planned maintenance window to convert their network to MPLS. I saw their maintenance notice and noticed that the window lasted multiple days. I expected the link to go down - but I never imagined they meant it would stay down for the entire maintenance window.

So, I'm speculating that even if there weren't organization issues their engineers were probably very busy and distracted by the major technical changes going on.