Re: Password Security and Distribution

  • From: John Kinsella
  • Date: Tue Jan 24 13:09:46 2006

One of my guys found a package called Password Gorilla, which is
basically a GUI which sits on top of Password Safe that came out of
Counterpane in 2002 or so.  Either allows you to organize passwords by
group and machine, and the whole database is encrypted by blowfish:

http://www.fpx.de/fp/Software/Gorilla/

One thing I've been thinking of from my managed service/consulting
background is to have a main database which has all users/passwords for
all "companies" in a central database (LAMP architecture), then depending
on what a user has access to, a custom Password Safe database is created
for them.  This would handle how to distribute password changes out to
admins who have varying levels of access.  Sounds like about a week's
worth of work - if people voiced enough interest or if somebody cared to
help me out, I'd finally get motivated to write it and put it up on
Sourceforge...

John