Re: is this like a peering war somehow?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Jan 22 14:57:22 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Petri Helenius wrote:

And the real question is if the money is better spent on implementing preferential treatment or upgrading the infrastructure as a whole.
If you have an 8meg ADSL line and want to deliver IPTV you need some kind of preferential treatment to the TV packets on this access line to ensure quality, for instance in the case of the user doing a file transfer at the same time they're watching TV.

Should anyone be able to request this preferential treatment, perhaps even without a contract? Should we trust TOS values across the net? If not, who should we trust?

The argument that QoS in the core is a moot point or not can be left behind, if you're talking access, then some kind of intelligent queueing is needed to ensure low packetloss for realtime services. Giving each customer a 100M pipe might sound good but it's not really economically feasable in the short term.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected]