Re: oof. panix sidelined by incompetence... again.

  • From: Thor Lancelot Simon
  • Date: Sun Jan 22 13:41:41 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 10:33:04AM -0800, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> Can there be a confirmation of this? I see no such MOTD at
>  http://www.panix.com/panix/help/Announcements/

Verio was just extremely helpful and filtered out the bogus Panix
routes ConED was sending them quite rapidly upon request from Panix's
staff.  AFAICT ConED is still sending the bogus routes, and since they
evidently don't believe in staffing their NOC on the weekend, or
responding to reports of their own misconduct, heaven only knows if
they'll ever stop.

Thanks to Verio's quick intervention the problem, thank goodness,
seems to be solved.  The current Panix MOTD is below:

====

Connectivity restored (alexis) Sun Jan 22 13:31:28 2006

   At around 1:10PM, all of the Internet can now reach Panix again.

   We accomplished this by getting our peers to accept more-specific routes
   from us. We also, nearly simultaneously, got Con Ed's rogue route
   announcements pulled by Verio, their upstream.

   I'm surprised and pleased that Verio, which we don't have a business
   relationship with, was so easy to contact and so ready to do what they
   should.

   No mail was lost during this outage. Some was delayed, of course, and
   everything should be caught up again in an hour or two. Please let us know
   if you have network problems *after* 1:10PM EST.