Re: is this like a peering war somehow?

  • From: Per Heldal
  • Date: Fri Jan 20 09:53:13 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:54:34 +0100 (CET), "Mikael Abrahamsson"
<[email protected]> said:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Alexander Harrowell wrote:
>
> > Whatever. No-one's actually trying to do "some packets are more equal
> > than others" here in Europe, except for the mobile people with IMS and
> > such. BT just transferred its access network into a new division with a
> > specific remit to provide open access to all ISPs and alt- tels who want
> > it.

I'm sorry if I made the impression that it is already happening. Now
it's a game on the political arena, and it's important to support the
RIR-communities' efforts to provide balanced information to
decision-makers.

> My guess would be that basically everybody doing triple play will
> prioritize the IPTV and VoIP packets in their network including the
> access. Considering that streaming UDP IPTV requires very very low packet
> loss, much better than Best Effort, this is needed to provide a good
> quality service.
>
> If you do LLQ you want to make sure you can control what goes into that
> class, that can be done several ways, including disallowing anything
> you don't know about (transit/ix) to go there.
>
> This is preferential treatment for some packets and it makes perfect
> technological sense.

Preferential treatment of value-added services in the providers own
network is just fine. It's down-prioritizing competing services that may
become a problem. Like blocking all VoIP traffic not using the
providers' own "gateway-service".

//per
--
  Per Heldal