Re: The Backhoe: A Real Cyberthreat?

  • From: sgorman1
  • Date: Thu Jan 19 13:05:03 2006

While it is always fun to call the government stupid, or anyone else for that matter, there is a little more to the story.

- For one you do not need a backhoe to cut fiber
- Two, fiber carries a lot more than Internet traffic - cell phone, 911, financial tranactions, etc. etc.
- Three, while it is very unlikely terrorists would only attack telecom infrastructure, a case can be made for a telecom attack that amplifies a primary conventional attack.  The loss of communications would complicate things quite a bit.

I'll agree it is very far fethced you could hatch an attack plan from FCC outage reports, but I would not call worrying about attacks on telecommunications infrastructure stupid.  Enough sobriety though, please return to the flaming.