IP Addresses from a different region

  • From: Sam Stickland
  • Date: Thu Jan 19 09:21:58 2006

Hi,

Long story short... I'm under some considerable pressure from management to obtain a /24 of addresses from ARIN. We are a UK based ISP that are, of course, members of RIPE. Is this possible? If I approach one of ARIN's LIRs can they obtain ARIN PI space for our client, and are their any volunteers? Or, is it the case, that being outside of ARIN's geographic reach that we can't approach them?

Short story long... This is for a client that currently has a USA based operation, that wants to consolidate everything in one of our colo centres. Their USA servers are involved in some of kind advertising system that attempts to do geographic location based on the IP address prefix. I am assured that traceroutes, SWIP data, and AS number play no part in this geographic lookup.

The client insists that they must have addresses from a prefix that appear to have been allocated by ARIN for this system to continue to work. The language barrier between us has been scrupering attempts by me to get more techincal information from them.

As usual management are interested in "solutions not problems" ;) and this deal is worth quite a bit of money. I hate to be contributing to the ever increasing PI swamp space, but unfortunately I don't pay my own wages.

Any suggestions?

Sam