Re: AW: Odd policy question.

  • From: Joseph S D Yao
  • Date: Sat Jan 14 23:59:17 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:06:20PM -0500, Jeffrey I. Schiller wrote:
> Foolish me. Indeed all that is required is a way to detect that the
> delegation is lame (hopefully in a secure fashion) and remove the lame
> delegations. Of course that does leave the problem of what to do if all
> of the delegations are lame, as Randy has alluded to.

If the intent of the first is to ask, for what zones are you
authoritative, with the return being a complete list, then:
(a) for many servers this would be a very long list, which may even
require TCP/53, which will break some who don't yet accept TCP/53 for
queries, which may be seen in the long run as a GOOD thing but in the
short run causes problems; and
(b) ISTM that a number of people don't WANT to announce every domain
that they may be hosting, which is their right, and which may be why
there is no such query to date.

If the intent of the first is to ask, here is a zone, are you
authoritative for it?  then just do the query.  If it is up and
authoritative, it will reply and say so.  If it is up and not
authoritative, it will either reply and say so, or not reply, depending
on its configuration.  If it is down, you need to try another server
anyway.  [Begs the question of what the DNS police do, but ...]

The second is a long-acknowledged problem more or less equivalent to the
immediately above.

--
Joe Yao