Re: Cisco, haven't we learned anything? (technician reset)

  • From: Rob Thomas
  • Date: Thu Jan 12 11:20:53 2006

Hi, NANOGers.

] On the other hand, the most common practice to hack routers today, is
] still to try and access the devices with the notoriously famous default
] login/password for Cisco devices: cisco/cisco.

This is NOT a default password in the IOS.  The use of "cisco" as
the access and enable passwords is a common practice by users, but
it isn't bundled in the IOS.  I've heard it began in training
classes, where students were taught to use "cisco" as the
passwords.

Oh, and for those of you who think it mad leet to use "c1sc0" as
your access and enable passwords, the miscreants are on to that as
well.  ;)

We've seen large, massively peered and backbone routers owned
through this same technique.  We've even seen folks who have
switched to Juniper, yet continue to use "cisco" as the login and
password.  :(

The nice thing about cooking up blame is that there is always
enough to serve everyone.

Thanks,
Rob.
--