Re: do bogon filters still help?

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Jan 12 06:52:09 2006

> >> I haven't looked at RFC 3330, but another RFC reserves 192.0.2.0/24
> >> for examples in documentation.  In practice, this prefix is used for
> >> distributing fake null routes over BGP, so it's a rather strong NO.
> >
> > If you know which RFC it is, I'll update the reference table.
>
> Uhm, looks like I was mistaken.  Each time the topic comes up, I
> confuse this with RFC 2606 (domain names).  No such RFC exists for
> IPv4 addresses.

I HAVE looked at RFC 3330 and I noticed the following text in it:

   192.0.2.0/24 - This block is assigned as "TEST-NET" for use in
   documentation and example code.  It is often used in conjunction with
   domain names example.com or example.net in vendor and protocol
   documentation.  Addresses within this block should not appear on the
   public Internet.

In fact the title of the RFC is "Special-Use IPv4 Addresses" so I'm
not sure what you mean when you say that no such RFC exists for
IPv4 addresses.

--Michael Dillon