Re: do bogon filters still help?

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Wed Jan 11 13:31:22 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Edward Lewis wrote:

No data, but I thought I should add...RFC 3330 "Special-Use IPv4 Addresses" lists the "obvious stuff." I just went through an exercise in de-bogonizing and needed that reference. [http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt]

Be careful though. It lists 24.0.0.0/8 as "special," explaining that this went to cable operators (and eventually administered via ARIN). So don't just use the Summary Table in section 3 blindly.
For those doing similar exercise, you might want to look at rephrased version of rfc330 listed blocks:
http://www.completewhois.com/iana-ipv4-specialuse.txt

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks