Re: Reporting botnets?

  • From: Bill Nash
  • Date: Wed Jan 11 11:48:24 2006

There are companies/products that specialize in mitigating C&C traffic in a fairly elegant manner.

One specific one that we've had good experiences with is Mainnerv's Darknet product. They deploy a box on the network, interfacing with your enterprise via a BGP peer, which issues a handful of routes to actively blackhole, intercept, and analyzer traffic to known C&C's that are being actively tracked. That part isn't too exotic, their strength lies in the good intelligence processes on their side, for maintaining their blackhole listing.

The implementation impact is minimal and trojan outbreaks are generally stopped dead even as the compromise is taking effect. As a proactive measure, it's a fast way to spot compromised machines within your network even as the malignant activity is mitigated.

- billn