Re: QWest is having some pretty nice DNS issues right now

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Jan 09 12:34:16 2006

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Simon Waters wrote:

> On Saturday 07 Jan 2006 02:54, you wrote:
> >
> > While it's tempting to make fun of Qwest here, variations on this theme -
>
> I do agree the management issue with DNS are far harder, and here longer TTL
> are a double edged sword. But it is hard to design a system where the
> mistakes don't propagate to every DNS server, although some of the common
> tools do make it easier to check things are okay before updates are unleased.

What's interesting to me, atleast, is that this is about the 5th time
someone has said similar things in the last 6 months: "DNS is harder than
I thought it was" (or something along that line...)

So, do most folks think:
1) get domain-name
2) get 2 machines for DNS servers
3) put ips in TLD system and roll!

It seems like maybe that is all too common. Are the 'best practices'
documented for Authoritative DNS somewhere central? Are they just not well
publicized? Do registrars offer this information for end-users/clients? Do
they show how their hosted solutions are better/works/in-compliance-with
these best practices? (worldnic comes to mind)

Should this perhaps be better documented and presented at a future NANOG
meeting? (and thus placed online in presentation format)

-Chris