Re: WMF patch

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Thu Jan 05 13:12:00 2006

At 12:54 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:
Thanks Thomas, something really useful. One thing I am still curious about, I read that there were other image formats can be used in an exploit, GIF, .BMP, .JPG, .TIF can also be used, according to F-Secure. I find this a little confusing, if that dll only deals with WMF file type then the exploit must not be directly connected with that dll Or does that dll handle all of those as well?

But then I found this http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119993,00.asp

Which makes sense. The way a lot of things I have been seeing go on about this they act like WMF is the only format of issue and that obviously is not at all true. I would have more likely ignored this if it really was only WMF files and the MS patch a week or so away.
I believe Windows uses the file header/descriptor data as well as or instead of the extension to know how to handle images. Otherwise, simply renaming/blocking all WMF files would result in an effective mitigation method.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin