Re: Leap second reminder - Check your NTP

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Sun Jan 01 02:30:50 2006

--On December 31, 2005 6:57:45 PM -0600 Kevin Day <[email protected]> wrote:

While I can't say anything broke on our network as a result of the  leap
second, a good percentage of our gear lost NTP sync or had some  kind of
NTP problem around midnight UTC. You may want to check your  NTP status
at some point, in case something drifted quite a way off  and won't step
itself back now because the difference is too great.

We've Nagios monitoring a majority of our NTP devices. Around the appropriate time I got a pretty big flurry of ntp sync warnings, took about half an hour for everything to get in sync. Everything looks normal as of right now (has been for a while).

I hadn't thought to turn off the alarms even though I was aware of the leap. That resulted in a lot of notifications going out to our on-call people.