Re: live chat with other nanog'ers

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Dec 29 22:38:39 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:18:02PM -0800, Kyle Lutze wrote:

> I've been watching the list, saw some posts, but nothing definite has
> been done, is there another place besides efnet where competent people
> are joining to chat on topic? Otherwise I would love to see people on
> freenode or oftc

I think that a few people here may be under some misconceptions about
#nanog on efnet. There are actually many very experienced network
operators who hang out there, including frequent nanog attendees and
presenters (along with the usual collection of random twits that you'll
find anywhere in life, but what are you going to do).

However, I believe you will find that most people are there to unwind, not
to discuss networking or to answer questions about routers. As such, nanog
list readers who wander in expecting "on topic conversation" or advice
about configuring their 2600, rather than general chatter about cell
phones and cars, are probably going to be disappointed by the reception
they receive. Realistically, most networking issues have already been
talked about to death, and most people just don't have anything new to
contribute.

As far as alternatives go, I think you may find that channels like
#ciscohelp on efnet are more in line with what people here are expecting
in the way of "on topic conversation". Of course you are always welcome to
start your own channel on any of a wide variety of networks, as others
have already done in the past, but these tend to come and go with some
frequency. Having said all that, by all means if #nanog on efnet doesn't
fit your tastes, no one is twisting anyone's arm to be there. :)