Re: NAT Configuration for Dual WAN Router

  • From: My Name
  • Date: Sun Dec 18 09:19:49 2005

Assuming your providers give you a new modem which is already NAT'ing the LAN side of the modem and you are plugging that into multiple NIC's on your linux router like;

-modem-pub -> modem-priv -> linux-eth0
-modem-pub -> modem-priv -> linux-eth1
-linux-eth3 -> LAN switch

1) Configure VRRP (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vrrpd/) on eth0 and eth1 WAN side on the linux router.  You should be able to configure the weighting on each interface equally so that they 'load share' (I've done this in FreeBSD).

2) Set the default gateway on the linux router to the VRRP interface (IP that is shared between eth0 and eth1).

This would be a very scalable and reliable solution for this type of network.  I've never tried it, but let me know if it works!