Re: Whatever happened to intelligence in the applicattion [Was: Re: The Qos PipeDream]

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Dec 16 11:15:39 2005

Thus spake "Fergie" <[email protected]>
I think you just tossed a red herring into the discussion. :-)

I would suggest that a semi-intelligent playback bufferring scheme
in the VoIP application, plus a 'semi-lossless' link, would be just
fine.  ;-)
Any competent VoIP application/device developer will use an adaptive jitter buffer. It's really not that tough, and most apps/devices have them today because working products sell better than non-working ones.

My VoIP phone (full disclosure: I work for the vendor) operates just fine at home over a DSL line, across four ISPs, through two NATs, and to a gateway in Canada. The voice gets a little choppy when a 10MB powerpoint hits my Inbox (sadly, several times per day), but it self-corrects after a couple seconds.

Doesn't anyone really remember the whole smart-v.-stupid network
analogy? Not meaning to start a flame war here, but trying to stick
all of the intelligence back into the network is not exactly a win-win
proposal.
I think you'll get further by arguing that intelligent networks with small pipes cost more to maintain than dumb networks with fat pipes. Less likely to induce sleep in your bean-counters.