Re: Whatever happened to intelligence in the applicattion [Was: Re: Th e Qo s PipeDream]

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Fri Dec 16 11:05:42 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Fergie wrote:

I certainly don't endorse placing _all_ of the intelligence
in the application, but look at it this way -- if you expect
to have a 'stupid' CPE handset rely on 'intelligence' in the
network for voice quality, you're probably going to be disappointed.

And no amount of leveraging smoke-and-mirror QoS frobs to generate
additional revenue will help you out.
You'd have to convince them first that they need to care about QoS and all its gory details rather than whether it works or not at a price they're willing to pay. There's a fundamental disconnect here. ;-) If you have to deploy QoS to make a service happen, no volume customer is going to care. And the cost vs margins game has always looked pretty frightening to me every time I've been near those trying to erect a business case for it.

Too many people know too little about the fundamental mechanics of networking (even though they all believe they do) to make an accurate decision about whether their choices of dealing with capacity (pick whatever real time metric you want, to me delay/jitter is a capacity function and nothing less) vs dealing with QoS is the right choice. But the glossy slideware looks so impressive. *sigh*

I'm much reminded of how, by some accounts, we were all supposed to live in a CoS'ified SVC to the brainstem world a few years back.

Best regards,
Christian