Re: [ppml] Fw: ":" - Re: Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number PolicyProposal

  • From: Todd Vierling
  • Date: Thu Dec 15 13:49:22 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> > That's an example of the lack of plain English in the
> > proposal. Why don't we just talk about AS numbers greater
> > than 65535 or AS numbers less than 65536?
>
> Because there is more to it than just that.  :)

No, there isn't.  AS numbers are integers.  It just so happens that there
are now two representations of said integers with different domain bounds.

Any other interpretation simply adds too much confusion.  After all, "2
byte AS2" vs. "4 byte AS2" implies *more than* 4 bytes -- because you have
to use metadata beyond the 4 bytes to represent which "type" of AS you have.

--
-- Todd Vierling <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>