Re: Two Tiered Internet

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 22:42:24 2005

What I'm interested in is how the two service
providers will build a two tiered Internet.

To our experience, current QoS mechanism ( WRR +
multiple_Queue) could not differentiate service
quality when bandwidth is overprivisioned. If there is
congestion, why should I stay with it while there is
another ISP who says their is no congestion in their
network ? If hard limited bandwidth allocation
mechanism is available, how could they calculate the
bandwidth of each service class ? how could they do
with the complexity of nework management? How could
they do with security problems?

Looking at IPTV, I'm not sure where is millions of
people use such service; but I do know P2P IPTV
application (like ppstream) could provide good quality
and multiple TV programs even bandwidth is limited.

So, IMO this is game between ISPs, new technology,
content providers and internet users. Currently,
content providers are the ONLY winner.

Joe