Re: Two Tiered Internet

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 20:03:44 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Tony Li wrote:
> Because they're telephone companies.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. They're evil.

> Because they can't manufacture bandwidth that isn't there.  Cable
> co's provide broadband with a fraction of the loop capacity.  For
> telco's to offer  premium service, they have to take from the aggregate
> capacity.  It's a zero sum game, and for the telco's to get more, the
> subscribers get less.

I guess you missed all those trenches being dug in Verizon land to install
fiber to the home. I guess you missed all the network upgrades in ATT/SBC
and Bellsouth land to shorten their copper loop distances.

Sounds like they are manufacturing more bandwidth and the zero sum game
is getting bigger.