RE: Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an Authoritative DNS Server

  • From: Ejay Hire
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 14:19:30 2005

assuming you've got the old box and the new one running
concurrently, you could run tcpdump on the old box with a
filter to only catch dns requests to the old ip.  Let it run
for 24-48 hours and you could see who/what was still
querying the old ip.

-e

On
> Behalf Of Eric Kagan
> Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:45 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an
> Authoritative DNS Server
>
> We need to move our Primary DNS server from legacy IP
space
> provided by our upstreams to our ARIN Assigned IP space.
> am looking for advice and any gotchas.  I couldn't find
any
> white papers to this affect or archived articles or
postings.
>  If someone does have a resource for this or find this
could
> be valuable, I can certainly gather all the info and
document
> it.  Most of the Registrars I have seen now use the
> Authoritative DNS Server Host names for the domain name
> registrations vs the IP Address. For most of our
customers,
> we register and host the DNS.  I have confirmed almost all

> the customers have either Network Solutions, Tucows, Go
Daddy
> and Register.com.
>
> Can I simply change the IP address of our DNS server and
> update the DNS Host Record with our registrar with the new
IP
> and any A / NS records we have ?  As long as other
customers
> domains have our DNS Server FQDN as the Host, they should
not
> need to make any changes, correct ?   I would love to
think
> its that simple, but there is always a gotcha.  Does
anyone
> know of any main registries using just the IP Address
where
> the customer might need to go in and make those changes
for
> each and every domain ?  Any input, advice or ideas is
appreciated.