Re: Gothcas of changing the IP Address of an Authoritative DNS Server

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 12:24:03 2005

On 14-Dec-2005, at 11:52, [email protected] wrote:

	currently in the middle of such a safe, conservative
	transition leads me to believe that there will -NEVER-
	be a point w/ there are no queries to the old address.
	(he says, 24 months into a transition...)
It's probably reasonable to say that there are more historical instances of B's address being hard-coded than there are for Eric's authority server, though (and I'm guessing that he also doesn't have to answer priming queries :-)

	The right
	tactic is to make the change, based on 2x the TTL of the SOA.
Joe