RE: Two Tiered Internet

  • From: Schliesser, Benson
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 10:23:25 2005

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> If these don't work, people will complain. Just imagine for a second
> that cable providers started a service that meant that every channel
> not owned by, say, Disney, had a bad picture and sound. Would this
> be good  for the  cable companies ? Would their customers be happy ?

So, the basic issue isn't relative priority. It's the absolute quality
of the common-denominator/lower-priority service (i.e., the baseline).

If the provider enforces a solid SLA for non-enhanced Internet, then who
would be upset if they also provide an enhanced option? Of course, I
don't currently have an SLA for my personal cable-modem or DSL
services...

Cheers,
-Benson