Re: Two Tiered Internet

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Wed Dec 14 01:52:31 2005

Thus spake "Christopher L. Morrow" <[email protected]>
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Tony Li wrote:
> What good is 6Mbit DSL from my ISP (say, SBC for example) if
> only a small portion of the net (sites that pay for non-degraded
> access) loads at a reasonable speed and everything else sucks?

One might argue that in such a situation, the end user is getting
less value than they did previously.  End users might then either
demand a price break or might vote with their connectivity.
the last 2 times this has come up I think there was the suggestion
that given other options at reasonably close to the same end cost
users might switch to alternate access methods. That works as
long as there are alternate access methods, and as long as the
telecom's don't 'cabal' and all do the same hideously bad thing...
Congress appears to be working hard to make sure that happens.

I do think it'd be funny for SBC or BS to do this sort of thing and get
massive customer loss when their customers defect to cable
modem networks.
Do you really think the cablecos will be significantly less evil than the telcos? I'm not as optimistic about the result of a legislated duopoly.