Re: Recording the return path (was Re: Clueless anti-virus products/vendors)

  • From: Per Heldal
  • Date: Mon Dec 12 07:46:27 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:08:14 +0000, [email protected] said:
[snip]

> Not quite the only way. If a postprocessing step is needed,
> it is trivial for the SMTP server to record any return path info
> that it knows in order for the post-processor to be able to
> send DSN's as accurately as the SMTP server itself.
>
> What we have here is yet another failure of imagination.

Has anybody claimed that post-processing within the SMTP-server is
better than postprocessing done elsewhere? The issue was
in-line-processing vs post-processing.

No information you can collect from the SMTP-session or elsewhere can
ever compete with the accuracy in notification gained if you reject the
message in-line and leave the responsibility for sender-notification
with the sending MTA.

//per
--
  Per Heldal