Re: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity

  • From: Andrew - Supernews
  • Date: Sun Dec 11 03:18:04 2005

 >> BATV doesn't help you if the problem is SMTP transaction volume,
 >> any more than a firewall will help you cope with a saturated
 >> network link.

 Douglas> Your statement regarding BATV is not correct however.  There
 Douglas> are two ways BATV reduces SMTP transaction volume when
 Douglas> dealing with forged DSNs.

When you're dealing with 30 million incoming DSNs (this is not a
hypothetical figure), being able to reject them all at RCPT TO is
not much help.

I don't see why I should have to engineer my mail server to handle
5,000 times its expected workload just to accomodate all the bozos who
accept-and-bounce, uncontrolled backscatter, "sender verification",
C/R, and all the other cost-shifting methods out there.

--
Andrew, Supernews
http://www.supernews.com