Re: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity

  • From: Douglas Otis
  • Date: Sat Dec 10 16:55:53 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 17:37 +0000, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> BATV doesn't help you if the problem is SMTP transaction volume, any
> more than a firewall will help you cope with a saturated network link.

I agree with most of your statements.  AV filters should be done within
the session when possible, etc.

Your statement regarding BATV is not correct however.  There are two
ways BATV reduces SMTP transaction volume when dealing with forged
DSNs.

Previous return-path and real email-address:
  <[email protected]>

Is transformed by BATV with a private tag into:
  prvs=fred/<KDDDSSSSSS>@example.com

S: 220 mail.example.com ESMTP Ready
C: EHLO fred.example.com
S: 250-mail.example.com Hello fred.example.com
S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
S: 250-PIPELINING
S: 250-8BITMIME
S: 250-SIZE 20000000
S: 250-DSN
S: 250-ETRN
S: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
S: 250-STARTTLS
S: 250-DELIVERBY
S: 250 HELP
C: MAIL FROM: <>
S: 250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
C: RCPT TO: <[email protected]>
S: 550 5.1.1 <fred.example.com>... User unknown
C: QUIT

When the MAIL FROM is <>, the only valid RCPT TO would be a BATV address
such as:

C: RCPT TO: <prvs=fred/[email protected]>
S: 250 2.1.5 <prvs=fred/[email protected]>... Recipient ok
C: DATA
S: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
C: This is a notification you sent a virus to <joe.tld> at ...
C: Blah, Blah, Blah, and by the way, here is the virus. ...
C: ...
C: .
S: 250 2.0.0 234fls89056789 Message accepted for delivery
C: QUIT

The BATV is a few lines of code that adds a private tag with a time
limit set in days. BATV helps dramatically by eliminating the DATA phase
and all that is involved in handling messages. In addition, once BATV
becomes more widely deployed, the DSN refusal offers an alert about
accepting more such messages from that IP address.

BATV will make forged DSNs a thing of the past, irrespective of where a
recipient list is checked, an AV or SPAM filter is added, etc.

-Doug