Re: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless anti-virus )

  • From: Rich Kulawiec
  • Date: Sat Dec 10 11:59:20 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 09:03:10AM -0800, Douglas Otis wrote:
> There is a solution you can implement now that gets rid of these tens of
> thousands of virus and abuse laden DSNs you see every day before the
> data phase.

BATV is not a solution.

It's a band-aid.

It fails to address the underlying problem and instead focuses on
merely trying to cope with one of the symptoms of that problem.

And it also places the burden on the people who are NOT PART OF
THE PROBLEM, and who therefore should not be the ones tasked with
solving it.

The solution isn't to try to figure out what to do with UBE generated
by broken mail systems, broken anti-spam systems, broken anti-virus
systems, and the like; the solution is to fix those systems so that
they don't generate it.  "The best place to stop spam is as near its
source as possible" goes the maxim, and THE best place IS its source.

This is not hard. It's been discussed at extraordinary length on spam-l,
and one of the outcomes of those discussions is that while there are
some edge cases that can be tough (depending on mail system architecture)
those are a tiny minority, and the overwhelming majority can be dealt
with quickly and easily.  I would strongly suggest that anyone wishing
to continue this discussion (a) read the archived discussion thoroughly
and (b) take it up on spam-l, where it's probably more appropriate and
where huge amounts of relevant clue exist among participants.

---Rsk