Re: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless anti-virus )

  • From: Douglas Otis
  • Date: Fri Dec 09 13:04:05 2005

On Dec 9, 2005, at 9:22 AM, Todd Vierling wrote:

Actually, I get about ten to twenty times as much virus blowback as I get spam from trojan-zombie boxes.

That's because the virus blowback comes from otherwise "reputable" MTAs, whereas the spam comes form zombies that are often already blacklisted, or are in known dynamic pools that are blocked here. Thus the zombies get blocked long before DATA, but the "reputable" MTAs sending the backscatter don't get caught so early.
I am having difficulty understanding why a one time investment in Bounce-Address Tag Validation which can be in operation immediately and offer 100% "blowback" protection from _all_ sources using trivial resources is not being considered? The more who lock their back door, the fewer times you will find miscreants checking to see that it is locked.

-Doug