RE: SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless anti-virus )

  • From: Geo.
  • Date: Fri Dec 09 10:57:54 2005

>>While AV scanning may be done during the session, it would also require
additional steps to also contain _all_ upstream activity within the same
session as well, when attempting to achieve an apparent point-to-point
operation.  If SMTP were point-to-point, this would be evolving into the
IM model where the message queue or storage would always be at the
sender.  Such mode of operation will increase the average transaction
time needed for email.<<

You know, the problem we are trying to solve is virus notification blowback,
etc. So instead of changing the system why not work with it.

If everyone would just standardize on at least the first part of every virus
notification being the same thing, say:

XXX  VIRUS NOTIFICATION: blah blah blah

where XXX is some error number, we could all easily control virus
notifications at the receiving end, allowing or blocking, as the recipients
choice. A simple standard message format and all the problems and complaints
go away.

George Roettger
Netlink Services