Re: BGP Security and PKI Hierarchies

  • From: Edward Lewis
  • Date: Wed Dec 07 10:55:47 2005

After reading this thread well after it has ended...why does it seem that a lot of folks equate "trust" with "paying money?"

Trust isn't about who can pay what but maintaining a system that conveys trust does *cost* money.

The RIRs are not-for-profit themselves. That doesn't mean service-for-no-fee. I don't see that an RIR has any obligation to speak on behalf of (in this case, issue certificates for) any other organization that holds IP space and has not established any arrangement with the RIR. On the other hand, any such organization cannot expect an RIR to do something for them for free.

If the ISP industry wants there to be certificates for the so-called swamp space (badly enough), what would stop them from subsidizing the the work?

Edward Lewis +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

3 months to the next trip. I guess it's finally time to settle down and
find a grocery store.