RE: SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Dec 01 14:35:59 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

Can someone summarize the alternatives to the ARIN recommended RWHOIS
server bits (from rwhois.org)?  A quick hit on Google and Freshmeat was
fairly barren.
i use irrd
I'm curious how you or anyone else using irrd deals with the following issues:

1) Needing to be able to tell ARIN how much of your space is reserved vs assigned, what percentages of each of those are the various "sub-categories" ARIN seems to care about. i.e. Dial-up, Cable, Hosting, Leased Line, DSL, Colo, Wireless, other. Did you hack the irrd source to add a custom field(s) to route objects, abuse the member-of field, or create a maintainer object for each category of usage and use the mnt-by field as a classifier. Or if you have all your space in irrd, can you just point ARIN to your whois server and say "there's all the data, have fun with it", and skip questions 4-8 on net-isp.txt?

2) Finding unassigned space, preferably appropriately sized for the desired allocation. Shell script that asks irrd for all routes mnt-by your "Unallocated maintainer" sorted by (selectable) either prefix or prefix length?

2a) Finding open bits of reserved space. i.e. We'll commonly take a /24 and mark it as reserved for router interface /30s. The /24 isn't "open" anymore, but until its been used up, there's lots of /30s within it that are available for assignment. I suppose instead of putting the /24 in irrd as reserved, each of the /30s could be put into irrd marked as either reserved in use, or reserved available.

3) Assuming you let multiple people add/remove route objects, what's done to enforce consistency in the data? Perhaps a web interface to sending the updates that populates as many of the fields as possbile from pull down selections?

Also, is there some secret to mirroring other registries with irrd? After installing, I figured it'd be fun to play with someone else's data, so I tried to mirror altdb and then arin. Each gave me similar errors:

% ERROR: serials (1 - 108) don't exist!
% ERROR: 4: Invalid range: serial(s) 1-2902 don't exist

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |