Re: Akamai server reliability

  • From: Ryan Dobrynski
  • Date: Tue Nov 29 08:21:18 2005

i see lots of hardware failures. one particular problem i have noted is
just kind of a bad case layout. the network card sits in a little pci
riser card and is also bolted to the back of the case. it likes to unseat
itself over time. eventually the MB dies. i'm not sure if one has anything
to do with the other but i suspect it does because if i pull the screws
out of the network card and just let it sti in the pci riser it doesnt
unseat itself and the box tends to live a bit longer.

but yes. i have more failures of akamai boxes on my network then anything
by a long shot. chalk it up to cheap hardware i guess.

On Mon, 28 Nov
2005, Roy wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:39:51 -0800
> From: Roy <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Akamai server reliability
>

> Hi,
>
> Many moons ago, we got a set of Akamai servers.  Over the years I think
> they replaced every one of them at least once.  Last August we got a
> another set of servers due to a move and now two of those three servers
> have failed.
>
> I still have the original server that started garlic.com in production
> after 11+ years so I know servers can last a long time.  I don't
> understand why Akamai failure rates are so high
>
> Is anyone else seeing high failure rates of Akamai servers at their
> facilities?
>
> Roy

Ryan Dobrynski
Hat-Swapping Gnome
Choice Communications

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) this is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.