Re: trollage (Re: Akamai server reliability)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Mon Nov 28 15:49:18 2005

Never underestimate the amount of airbills that can be paid with KISS strategy.

Especially since Akamai doesn't pay for truck rolls and man hours to get the replacements done onsite.

I'm sorry, isn't that exactly what an airbill *is* paying for -- to get the equipment on site?

The man hours (really, we are talking about less than a single hour to replace a server including all the mounting and repacking). The one man hour that they need (no more than 6 a year by the look of it) should offset the value the ISP is getting from not buying bandwidth to get to the content and for the improved performance they get.

If that model doesn't work for the ISP in question, they should ask Akamai to pull their gear.

DJ