Re: IP Prefixes are allocated ..

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Mon Nov 28 02:49:53 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Bill Woodcock wrote:

     On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Glen Kent wrote:
   > to different Autonomous systems.
   > Is there a central/distributed database somewhere that can tell me
   > that this particular IP prefix (say x.y.z.w) has been given to foo AS
   > number?

We have archives of much of that information (historical whois), and we've
been working on databasing it, but that's unfunded work, so it's going
slowly.
I've been doing something similar too with historic whois & routing data with purpose to interrelate it in the database, making it possible
to search by date and by how ip prefix changed. Not very easy because
of amount of data to properly process while keeping track of and creating
cvs-like info in db.

Basically, we get bulk data from the five RIRs, and try to parse
it into a structured database.  For the ones like ARIN and LACNIC, that
are coming out of a similar relational database, it's not too difficult
work.  For others, it's largely manual.
Its not 100% clear for LACNIC & ARIN either. ARIN & LACNIC do allow for common organization that is a db parent for both ASN and an ip block but there are actually number of organizations with multiple Org IDs and with ASN being under different org (also same same sometimes happens for IPv6 allocations) and cases of organizations buying each and ending up with
multiple ones (but only using one asn) are common.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks